Monday, May 5, 2008

CELTIC WEEKEND –(Part I)




First off, let me assure you, this was an amazing weekend and I want to thank Lynn (trusted guide and friend) for begging me to go with her. She needs to beg me more often for such wonderful outings. I also wish to thank Teri who for quite a few years has allowed her home to become known at the “Party House.” It is here where many friends “crash” and collectively prepare food for various meals, especially Sunday’s brunch which includes not only those who crashed at the Party House but who are great supporters and followers of the Haggis Band (band is called Enter the Haggis). And this Sunday brunch even sees the band members present as well. And I would be sadly remiss if I did not thank all those who met me and who were most diligent and caring that I was doing okay, having a good time and informing me of events I should not miss – not insufferable mind you, but good hearted people who wanted me to enjoy this experience and with any luck return again and again.

Now let me also state this Celebration of Celts happens at the Columbia County Fair Grounds in Chatham, NY. It is the largest Pan-Celtic festival in the northeast saluting all 8 Celtic Nations. Celebration of Celts is famous for its great Celtic music vibes and there are many bands and some amazing music. Three top Pipe Bands including the only grade one band in the US, Oran Mor, went snare to snare and pipe to pipe with 30 minute original compositions that must reflect instrumental and music inspiration from the New World Celts – those Celts who settled in North America, New Zealand and Australia. If you like bag pipes, you’d love this – just awesome.


Hey, you want to see men (and women) wearing kilts this is the place to be and before you ask, “yes, they do wear underwear under their kilts,” (at least the polite ones do!). But even the men were heard to say, “I’m freezing my arse off!” And as many “Clans” are represented, that means you seem many different shades and colors of kilts. It truly is amazing and eye pleasing.

The Guinness Brewery sponsored this event but guess what – drinkers were Id and you could not walk about with booze in your hand. There were designated drinking areas and that is where you drank, end of story! Even those who thought they could hide the good stuff in mugs, so learned this was not permitted and had to return to an authorized drinking area.

And of course there were all kinds of vendors and places to get something to eat. Yes, bottom (and top) line I had a good time. I, like many others, got cold tho. Damp and windy makes for some cold bones and damn few places to truly get out of the weather and warm up. Even the booze doesn’t warm you up that much! Then, much to my displeasure I had a small bout with food poisoning, which really made my experience anything but fun. Thankfully it didn’t last long and I was sucking down water, washing this out of my system big time!

More on this tomorrow – including more about these atheletic competitions, such as caber toss, the stone put, and hammer throw -- its amazing.
Maybe if I share this experience in small doses (over a few days) it won't be so over whelming or boring to you the reader? Just be assured, it was a fun weekend and I do hope to do this again next year.
Thanks to everyone who made this a grand weekend for me and to Lynn who patiently answered my numerous questions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm ALWAYS happy to answer ANY questions!!

Nice Review!! :0) So far!

The Guinness DID warm me when I sucked down two in a row!! LOL!!

Can't wait to see what you write about Michael!! :0)

www.enterthehaggis.com

Pat said...

OMG Micheal -- he was precious,I'd best leave him as a fond memory!

Anonymous said...

No!! You should *honor* him as he rightfully deserves!! LOL!! :0)