Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Snowshoeing

Yes, we finally got enough snow for me to engage in a winter activity that I just love -- snow shoeing.

First, I had to endure three miserable days of rain, slush, ice, snow, wind and below zero temps, not to mention a wind chill that had squirrels hiding more than nuts!

Then a heat wave hit, 23 degrees and damnit, I was gonna don my snowshoes and trek about, if only in my own yard, like a pro.  Oh ya, great weather, light snow falling, no wind and it was just wonderful.  Only one small problem, this idiot forgot to check her equipment and as I was so thrilled to be out and about, decided to extend my hike and quickly discovered (as I nearly fell on my face) that one shoe was completely undone.  The damn strap was not secure and eventually it managed to "wiggle" free and how in hell I managed to keep my boot in the strap at all was amazing. But when you feel yourself "tripping" with snowshoes, you know something ain't right.  Plus, you look pretty silly too.  Oh well, as folks watched me, from the cosy warmth of their front windows, I definitely entertained them, with my quick step and no-fall performance. But the slow, dragging shoe back home walk was anything but fun.

Once in garage I fixed this problem and chewed myself out (mentally) for not checking this before...damn ole fool.  Then I debated whether to continue snow shoeing or give it up for the day?  I gave it up...if you exert too much on the first outing, you could hurt yourself and that would delay further outings, so this was good...30 minute workout and a nice sweat going, I was content.

Okay, now I am like many of you folks, wanna lose some weight but ain't gonna go crazy with this diet and that diet.  Walking is kinda out of the picture what with the icy sidewalks and below zero temps and driving to some gym to walk around is not exactly my idea of fun.  Ya, snowshoeing is what I do when the weather permits and I also fire up the Wii fitness program and do that number and let's not forget the lovely Zumba dance.  Hey, I got no rhythm, so I just bounce around, work up a sweat and keep things flexible and moving.  Some days I get carried away, thinking I'm much younger and pay for it with a sore muscle and aching bones (walk much slower on those days too).
And like many I read all these weight losing ideas and healthy eating plans. Who in hell has time for all that shit anyway?  The latest was weight saving tips aroundthe world...oh ya, this was gonna be interesting.  I won't list all but some cracked me up:

  • Eat slower -- Americans tend to eat way too fast, so slow down, enjoy your meal.
  • Spicey food is good for you -- helps burn calories (also cuts down on what you eat cause your mouth is on fire!)
  • Eat more rice and beans (don't go out afterwards and only hang around friends, they'll be the only ones who can stand you).
  • Eat at home (what a novel idea).
  • Forget ordering supersized meals, they no longer exits (did MacDonald's know this)
  • Yes, for chrissake, EAT BREAKFAST. Every country makes this claim and has their own idea of what that should consisit of -- just eat something.
  • Swap the gas pedal for the bike pedal (now in the winter this might be a bit awkward but what the hell Norway does it, so can we, right).
  • Crunch more pickles -- well, ain't that amazing...
So, there is your healthy list for 2012 -- basically, it remains the same in my book, move your ass and cut back on calories. Eat more fruits and vegetables and exercise.  Weight will drop slowly but the biggest accomplishment will be the reality that you have changed your eating habits and now, you will feel better, keep the pounds off, and clothes will finally be baggy.

No comments: