Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Aw Cold Weather

Okay, listen up, you live in a part of the country that truly does honor and has the four seasons. So what in hell is your problem? Winter is one of those seasons and it means, entails if you prefer, cold temps and the white stuff…hello, this has been this way for eons, so why the surprise? Oh ya, I get it, you’d like a white Christmas, that is so pretty but that’s it, once you get this white blanket, stop all ready and don’t drop anymore, right? And heaven forbid the temp fluctuates back and forth and never gets higher than say 50 degrees! And what about no sunshine, are we intended to be mole people for three months?

Hey, I hear ya and like you, I too have my bitching issues. First foremost is the fact that while I like winter and playing in the snow is fun, hey, snowshoeing is great fun as is skiing and sledding ain’t so bad either. As for ice skating, forget that, did it as a kid but the ankles no longer cooperate or maybe it’s my balance has shifted too much! No, what irks me is the cracks in my fingers from the damn cold air. Okay, okay, I should have donned mittens earlier but I’m nervous driving with gloves on – they don’t always gripe the wheel like I feel is safe…hey, good excuse as any and besides, once the car warms up, who wants mittens! So I find myself applying lots of lotion and hey, when the cracks become really irritating I’ve been known to apply “New Skin” and a band-aid – it works. I would not suggest doing this for chapped lips however!!

What’s fun is the snow plows. I mean, come on, they must sit and wait and once you have shoveled or plowed your driveway, they arrive to fill in the end for you. It’s a test in patience. And if you think they should lift the blade for each driveway, get real – if the did that, it would take forever to do just one flippin street! And then, we have those days when there’s less than half an inch of white stuff and the plows are running all over the place…well, folks, they might not be plowing but they are spreading salt or sand on the roads to help us drive a bit safer. Of course on really cold days, salt does not melt ice!

Every watch folks clearing their driveways and sidewalks (make that walk ways as side walks are plowed by the village)? You got the truck plowers who just give a casual glance as they back up to get a good start to push the snow to the side of the driveway. Be careful of them, like I said, they give a quick glance and just go for it. How about the 4-wheeler snow plowers? Again, they are macho and think nothing of zooming along and not real mindful of traffic or yards…they really can mess up a yard in quick order. The snow blowers are also a fun breed to watch, hell, they just blow their snow into your yard or drive and think this is cool. Now the really cool folks are the old fashion types who are out there with shovels. Oh sure, it takes them longer and they have many breaks but I can assure you, they are not tossing snow into your drive – they can’t toss it that far!

My husband is a combo of snow shovel and snow blower. Years ago he decided my expensive and well-fitted ski goggles were perfect and he stretched them out to much, only he can wear them now. His comment; “go buy another pair, what in hell is your problem!”

So that is morning rant and yes, we got lots of snow, the temp is a lovely 10 degrees, the wind is whipping and its bloody ass cold out there. The guy who does our driveway, has been and gone, the village plows have filled in the end of the drive and the side steps need to be swept and a path shoveled for the mailman. All of this is normal and typical of the season…yes, I love winter. Will I venture out today? Most likely – still got a little shopping let and the longer I can delay wrapping gifts the better (I hate that part). Hey, have a lovely day and if nothing else, bundle up and get outside for a little bit – fresh air does a body good (don’t ask me who came up with this concept but I have heard it all my life!).

No comments: