Saturday, March 31, 2012

Friendship


We all have friendships, some have lasted a lifetime and there were damn few breaks, meaning a time when we didn’t see each other. Then there are friendships that were childhood days and school chums.  When high school ended, we went our separate ways.  Oh we kept in touch for awhile but eventually we drifted apart, made new friends and well, sadly lost some ole friends too.

What is truly treasured is when you reconnect with a childhood friend and spend time catching up on what transpired during the years apart. Some try to bullshit you but eventually the reality of who we are, where we came from and what we are now wins out and the stories become less embellished and real. 

For Judy and I, we never had those bullshit numbers. We always were straight-forward with each other and amazed at what each had done over the years.  In some ways she was very envious of my life as she dearly would have loved to have lived in foreign lands and explored,experience hands-on cultures, customs and traditions. But on the other hand, she wouldn’t have like the 18 months I spent in Vietnam.  I on the other hand, loved how she tackle various challenges and never lost her sense of humor or desire to keep learning and trying new things.  Never one to enjoy truly physical activity, she always claimed she past gym class because I kept encouraging her and while the gym teacher disliked her, she liked me, so that worked to her advantage (don’t ask me how).  But Jude never could be said to be non-active, she liked to walk, plant flowers and what have you.  In addition, I envied her cooking skills and I mean, this gal could cook -- boy howdy, how I wished I could have eaten some of the dishes she prepared.  She was very creative and crafty which I also admired...but it was her down-to-earth attitude and belief in people that was highly admired and many would emulate over the years.  Hey, she didn't take shit from anyone and that was a good thing because we all run across those who like to dish it out but man, be prepared for water works when it comes back at them.

Jude never had any children so she adopted mine and their children and they adored her. She even sent my daughter her cherish baby silverware and my daughter promptly used with her son, much to Jude’s delight.  However, it wasn’t just my kids Jude adopted and called her kids, she had others and she loved them dearly and hated it when they moved away or got busy and couldn’t see her as often as she would have liked but she never complained, she understood and knew they cared deeply for her but had to live their own lives, just as she had done.

My dearest, closest and oldest childhood friend passed peacefully in her sleep today at 3 a.m.  She no longer suffers and although she would have liked to have stayed longer, she is with her beloved parents now and I know that makes her happy.  I will forever be her friend and miss her but the memories will never leave and in this manner, neither shall she. Go rest high on that mountain my dear friend; your work on earth is done.

No comments: