Friday, April 18, 2008

Friday at Last

Yup, it's Friday and now that the meds are starting to kick in, I am feeling much better. In fact, as soon as the village office opens I plan to go get my fishing license, then my sister-in-law and I shall head out to the ole fishing hole. Well, maybe we'll just try our luck at the Norwood Lake? What the hell, gotta start somewhere, right?

However, as bright as the day is and me feeling better I am slightly pissed. You see something is eating my tulips and that is really pissing me off! Whatever it is, digs up the bulbs, chews on it a bit and then, moves on to another bulb. Sneaking little sucker!

I sprinkle soap flakes out there today -- chew on these you nasty little demon. Have no idea how to rid myself of this creature. I could (probably should) have laid down chicken wire so they couldn't get the tulips but that seemed like a lot of work. Ya, some mulch might be the cure.

Hey, I'll take any suggestions you folks have to offer -- I mean, it would be nice to have a few tulips actually bloom.

3 comments:

WiseAcre said...

It sounds like you have squirrels or wabbits. Deer won't bother digging up the bulbs.

Fur bearin varmits are a curse on Tulips. You can try some repellant or if you don't mind the look place some black plastic mesh over the plants. From a distance the fine mesh is not really visable. If you get lucky you might net one of the varmits and get to use your new snowshoes to play 'whack a critter'

I only plant Daffodils. The animals won't eat them and they tolerate the winter cold much better that Tulips will. I would love to grow tulips but there's too much working against them here in the north country.

Pat said...

Thank Wiseacre, someone also suggested I sprinkle red pepper around the plants and that might keep whatever is eating my tulips away.

Ya, I got squirrels and probably some wabbits, but also some deer tend to roam around my back yard too.

Oh well, live and learn.

Anonymous said...

The deer usually only eat of the bulbs/flowers out here in Minnesota. So I would guess it's some thing else.

With the pepper flakes out I'm sure tomorrow you will see a squirrel sliding on arse in the backyard.

Son