Wednesday, April 30, 2008

What’s with this Weather?

First off my sister, who lives in Syracuse sent me the following email this morning: It's snowing here and my lilacs are pissed!!!!

My tulips are refusing to open due to the cold temp and who can blame them, staying closed keeps them warm, right? However, my favorite flower of all time is blooming like crazy – good ole dandelions. Hey, come on, this is one flower even kids can pick and nobody is gonna yell at them, right? Besides dandelion wine is damn good if you let it “ferment” for a few years – then it is so smooth you hardly realize just how wonderful it tastes and the kick it can cause you!

My father made some just before I went to Nam with strict orders nobody was to touch it and nobody did. In fact, it was a few years after I came back and while sitting under the infamous family tree swapping stories, that someone remembered this wine. Dad diligently got up and got the bottle and we all had a sip and declared, “that’s some damn good stuff!” He really should have made more -- lots more -- but then, he was smarter than us, he knew this could become addictive and decided one bottle was sufficient.

I am preparing for my Celtic weekend and at first when advised that I would need to bring a sleeping bag and we could (1) crash in a friend’s house, (2) sleep in the car, or (3) pitch a tent in the friend’s backyard, I was thinking this is gonna be some weekend. Then I was advised to bring a pair of boots in case its muddy there. Also it is usually windy so dress in layers. Then the weather report indicates a wet weekend for most of New York and man, I was thinking this is sounding like Woodstock! I refuse to say whether I was there or not – let’s just let that roll around in your minds for a while!

Anyway, as I don’t sleep on the floor or ground anymore, I went to Wal-Mart and bought me an air mattress. Now the more expensive ones inflate upon command, no pump required but I just wanted this simple twin mattress and that doesn’t inflate on command. It needed a pump, so I bought a battery operated pump – amazing what 4 D cell batteries can do!! So I got my bed, had a sleeping bag and definitely got my pillow so I am flying high on the hog folks. I also opted for crashing "inside" the friend's house, thank you very much!

This is gonna be a fun weekend and as I told my friend (and trusted guide) I really am not into heavy metal music, so if that happens, don’t be surprised if I head off in another direction. Bag pipes I can handle, love’em when we visited Scotland so that works for me. Actually Celtic music is fantastic and I look forward to hearing it all. And of course, the food will keep me content as well, not to mention the booze – did I say that – sorry, the drinks!


Oh ya, as it will be chilly, I shall dress in layers and doubt wearing shorts will happen, unless freezing becomes a game one wishes to play or booze warms one up to the point the wearing shorts helps you feel cool! As for me, this gal shall very nicely live in her blue jeans! Oh come on, you know you can't wait to hear all about this weekend. It's gonna be a blast and I shall take photos, eat, drink and keep mental notes so I can share it all with you. Who knows, maybe some of you will be there or after hearing about how wonderful it was, you'll consider going next year.


As for my sister’s comment – keep the damn snow in Syracuse, you guys didn’t get much this winter, we got lots, so it’s your turn and screw that its happening late April. Sorry Sis, love ya to death but it’s your white stuff!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of leaving my shorts home too! BUT, did you notice that Satureday will only be *Few showers*!! So there's still hope!

Rain or Shine we'll habe a good time! :0)