Thursday, October 16, 2008

DAMN CRITTERS!

Maybe I need something like this to scare critters away?


Yes, I did my bulb planting and thought I was being so attentive and doing everything right – and I did. However along the deck, out back I put in a few
daffodil and tulip bulbs – had some there from last year and decided a few more would like nice.

In the front it was mixture of both and a long section of unplanted area, recently titled soil, new top soil mixed in and all that good stuff. Hell I even laid down landscaping timber and worked hard to make this look like a pleasing raised flower bed. I got the aching back to prove this was entertaining work – did I say entertaining? How about challenging?

This was all accomplished over the 3-day weekend and again, I was pretty pleased with my efforts. Then yesterday, I stepped outside to take a look at my work and damnit, the critters had all ready been out back and dug up bulb after bulb. It did not matter if it was a tulip or daffodil, they were having a bloody feast! I was irked beyond words – damn critters!

So I replanted the bulbs I could find (don’t know if that is doable but I did it), put some top soil on them and then, grabbed red hot pepper flakes and chili powder and spread it on thick and heavy. If you critters plan to return and feast again, it’s gonna be a hot number! I also put the same hot stuff on the front recently planted bulbs too but nothing is bothering them – thank goodness.

Oh ya, its raining and it started somewhere in the night and while it makes for good sleeping weather, it still is a dreary day. Most folks are thinking “I’ll just stay home, watch TV, read book, maybe do a little house cleaning or take naps.” Hey, I can’t say that any of that is bad idea, unfortunately I have errands to run and must get out in this lovely downpour –well, I’ll attempt to time my trips when it’s light rain, not a full blast shower!

So to all you who are planting tulips and have learned the secret of keeping animals away, please share! In the meantime, have a great Thursday – hey, any day we are breathing is great!!!

No comments: