Monday, October 25, 2010

Travel Season Ends

Yes, folks, after six weeks, lots of hotel room time and laughter, I am finally back home and loving every second of it!

Gotta tell ya, the last week was the worse!  By the 6th week, the thrill of hotel living, shopping, Jersey traffic, etc was wearing a tad thin and while this was a nice hotel, close to the shopping Mall, it was ONE room and limited space drove us bonkers. I sometimes wondered if they could of crammed anything else into this room: king size bed, TV cabinet (huge),small refrig; baby crib, night stands, two awkward computer desks/tables, one chair with foot stool (wheels missing) and this awkward couch bench, a bathroom and closet.  I mean, this was one cramped area for three people,one being an 11 month old who needs room to walk, play and explore!

We had been somewhat spoiled while staying in Resident Inns because we either had two rooms or one HUGE room with a kitchen, sofa, lots of space and breakfast was included every morning in the main office area and four nights a week, dinner was served (not the greatest but trust me, I have had worse).  The only issue I have with some of these places is they need to learn to speak English and I mean speak English
Big boy or small crib?
Way to get into portable high chair!
Now the last day was the worse and I mean, the freakin worse.  Flat tire, 70 minute wait for the truck, then some nitwit thinking we'd drive back to NY on a donut (no way asshole), then, not one new tire but two (both were bald and probably never would have past an inspection) and them of course, an alignment.  Finally Kel is back to the hotel, having forgot her room/entry key, I had to let her in...no big deal. Doesn't take us long, and we are ready to load up the car.  Keep in mind, we had half packed the night before but with the tire business, this was undone and now packing everything again was the game.

She had called to inform the hotel staff that due to car problems, our check-out would be later and they assured us this was fine, very understanding,etc. So, we haul stuff out and know we need to make two trips. Well, shit and double shit, they deactivate our card keys and now, Kel hikes around to the front to inform them, personally, eye-to-eye that we need to get back into our room, etc.  Finally everything is packed and we are ready to leave NJ -- it is now nearly 3 pm and we had initially believed we'd be on the road by noon. 

For the first time, I was so hungry that I would have eaten a stale donut if I could have found one so; I asked Kel to stop at any fast food joint and get me something to eat. She did just that and while I love chicken, this stuff was so oven hot, it was sometime before I could actually eat it..coleslaw was good tho!!  And the ice tea (which we would share) would certainly test our bladders!

It was in the mid-60s when we departed Jersey and we stopped in Warrensburg to stretch our legs and feed the baby (okay, we also changed his diaper) and when we opened the car door, that 33 degrees and wind definitely let it us know, you are back in NY and its COLD!!!

It would be close to 10 pm when we pulled in my driveway and would begin unloading the car.  "Mom," my girl says, "don't open your door, the light will wake up the baby!"  Hello, do you expect me to climb thru the window?  Finally she recognizes how stupid that remark was and we start to laugh, now the baby is awake, not happy and crying...oh good, I'm outta the car, headed into my house and she can listen to him for five minutes while she drives to her house...love it!!!

Okay, seriously, this has been a fun experience and we did lots of neat stuff, learned about and watched a ten month old graduate into an 11-month old and witness many changes in him as he explored and discovered new things (thankfully he is not talking because his first words might be a shocker).  Yes, I would do it again, but not anytime soon!  And with some major changes firmly established.

So now I am home and slowly resting up.  My sister called to say "keep December 5-6, maybe even the 7th, open...details to follow."  Bus tour to NYC and this includes seeing the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall and hiking around NY ciTAY.  That means some Christmas shopping and dining.  Oh, by the way, while in Jersey I had three meals at Bobby Flays burger Palace and man, that was fantastic.


Smile!

Bobby Flays pickle -- he loved it!

Reading the paper with Mom

No comments: