Friday, May 23, 2008

3-DAY WEEKEND

Bet you have been waiting all week for this weekend, right? And we all have traditions we carry out during this weekend, right? However, let’s not forget what this holiday commemorates -- U.S. men and women who have died in military service to their country. Get on your knees and thank them for the freedoms you enjoy to this day and keep supporting our military personnel.

In our family Memorial Weekend was also known as the “cemetery run.” Usually Sunday but it could be Saturday or even Monday, Mom and Dad would get flowers, water can, digging implement and we’d be “asked” to join them. Over the course of time, you learned to have a reason not to go but I am glad I went. I probably would have a hard time finding these resting places on my own today and of course, now I visit my parent’s graves as well.


My mother detested plastic flowers on grave sites – she claimed this to be very tacky and we’d tell her; “when you’re thar (pointing at the ground) we’ll really tick you off and bring plastic flowers and you won’t be able to do a thing about it!” She would give us that LOOK and say, “don’t count on it, I’ll rise right up and smack you side the head!” Hey, I believed her and as much as I would love to see her again, plastic flowers and slap side the head isn’t my idea of seeing Mama. So, I take real flowers and plant them every year – I tried perennials but they don’t seem to last either.

Along with these pleasurable outings, it’s also a time when many head to camps and prepare them for the summer visits. Meaning cleaning them out, hauling in stuff; i.e. wood, bedding, grills, pots and pans, chairs, games, movies, and in some cases, you even haul the boat and park it near the lake or pond too. In some camps there is electricity close at hand so TVs go to camp too as well as DVDs and videos. I never really understood that concept; I mean having a radio keeps you current on local and national events. Why in hell not just enjoy nature and her sounds, why glue yourself to some black box?

Whatever Memorial Weekend is a busy weekend and if the weather is decent and all things are in order, it’s time to take that first boat ride too. Doesn’t it just make you want to rush to camp and begin work NOW! Oh, not that excited about it, are ya? Okay, do whatever you can to enjoy three days off and if that means shopping, go for it – hell, shop for lower gas prices okay? Fire up that grill and enjoy a good meal, invite family and friends over and have a good time, what the hell, it’s gonna be a long haul until the next 3-day weekend, which happens to be the 4th of July!

No comments: