Sunday, May 18, 2008

BACK ACHE

Every get a backache and it was a good ache? Ya, I know that sounds stupid, after all a pain is a pain and there’s nothing good about pain, right? But when you actually “cause” the pain because of something you deliberately did [I mean you knew this was gonna hurt but you still did whatever because that is all part of the game plan, a little pain is for gain, right?], and you did things correctly and you still end up with an ache, it’s an ache you can accept, hence a good pain! Oh well, if you don’t follow this logic, it’s no big deal – silly me!

This morning my back aches and I should have taken a pill, had a few beers or whatever, but it’s a pain I can stand. This photo shows you what I did that brought on this lovely ache.
If you have never worked with a “claw” or cultivator, or this is your first attempt this year, then you understand why a pain is present. It’s not really so much the back per se but the back of the legs – imagine that! First off it took me a bit to figure out how to start the cultivator, I mean, start it – get it going. It’s not electric and one does need to pump a few knobs to get gas into the line, then pull the cord and hope it catches and whirls like it has a real purpose. Then, once going you need to hold this lever to make the blade turn and lordy, when they turn, watch out, dirt does fly!

All that aside, the ground has been prepared or it’s getting there. I still want to put some potting soil in and mix it up with the dirt and have myself a really nice bed of dirt. Then who in hell knows, I may buy some rose bushes and plop them in or try something else. Maybe those damn seeds that I read needed an over night soaking and pampering in separate containers will get tossed in and asked to fiend for themselves. I got nothing to lose, right?


Boy do I have various names for this flower. But I am gonna settle on arrowhead – have no idea if that is correct. I do have the National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers but damn, there are so many possibilities, I am just not sure. Hell, this could be chickweed for all I know. I just decided, it only has four leaves and that narrows down my choices. Regardless it’s a pretty flower and as far as I can tell, doesn’t have an over whelming smell. Of course it was a windy day and I was up wind, so that helped!

And then my store bought, all ready blooming flowers, which now sit in my flowerpots in the front of my yard. Hey, I was not going to do that seed business remember! I was done, had put away my tools and was merely catching my breath and wishing the damn pill wasn’t making beer taste so bitter as I would have liked a nice cold drink and wham, the rains came! Good timing, eh?

So for Sunday I think I shall just rest and relax—not do too much and allow the aches and pains to subside or something. I may head to Wal-Mart with my daughter and if so, look at rose bushes. During our military days and living all over the States (not to mention overseas) we planted rose bushes to make our yard look nice. Many military families have come and gone since that planting but on a visit to the base, a few years ago, we noticed the rose bushes still there and doing well. Hey, they could be replacement bushes but the mere idea that there are still there is sufficient, okay?
Yes, today many shall graduate from college and many parties will be held. Let's just hope everyone is smart enough to not drink and drive and has a good time and lives to see more good days. Congrats to all the grads and best wishes for a bright future.

No comments: