Thursday, May 15, 2008

Thursday

Lemme ask ya, do you have certain days of the week that you schedule things? I mean, I have some friends who make Wednesday there ironing day! Can you imagine knowing every Wednesday you’ll be ironing? Other friends have days for doing laundry, vacuuming the entire house, getting groceries, etc. I mean, talk about anal retentive – ye gads!

I like to go fishing on Thursday’s because there are fewer people at the river and you (1) get the spot you wanted and (2) you can spread out and actually take up more space than you need too. [don't be confused here, I will fish any day but I happen to think Thursday is my lucky day, okay?]. I don't insist or say this is the only day I will fish -- it's not set in stone!


It’s always fun mentally checking off the items you want and should take when headed out fishing. Are you one of those people who actually make a list? I mean, paper list not the mental list we all make and half the time forget? My take on this is if you forget something, this is gonna make for one memorable fishing trip. I mean, if you are going fishing you sure as hell shouldn’t leave your fishing pole at home. You will need bait, you might want a worm rag (sorry, wiping worm guts on my pants just doesn’t appeal and rags work nicely. Also come in handy to hold fish while removing hook). It’s always nice to have a water bucket to toss your catch in (some prefer a stringer but I like the ole water bucket number). You’ll want a lawn chair or plop on the riverbank, me I’ll haul a chair. You’ll want a hat, sunscreen and bug repellent – or sit there and suffer (just don’t whine, okay). Plus an ice chest is always helpful, keeps drinks cool and snacks if you plan to be away awhile and tend to have lunch at the river!

The most important thing to bring is your FISHING LICENSE! I know that sounds silly but game wardens do patrol, stop and want to see this license and believe me, this is easier than paying a fine for no license! There’s probably other stuff but you get the idea. Fishing is a great outdoor activity and can be damn relaxing.

I love the river and I love to fish, so I am quite content to sit on the riverbank and fish. On the St. Lawrence you can sit there and watch huge ships pass by and, imagine all the things they have seen on the open seas. In essence, the water is a calming influence and just allows you to slow down and relax. Not bad if the fish are biting either….that definitely makes fishing even more pleasurable.


So that is my game plan today…sounds like fun, eh? I don’t mind fishing alone or with others, it’s all fun stuff in my book. A tad chilly today and I know the temp at the river is gonna be lower, so a sweatshirt and/or jacket is definitely a must.

You all have a grand day too, okay? If you can’t go fishing, at least get outside, even if on your front steps or back deck. Ya, need to suck in that fresh air and feel the weather on your body…I did not say, stand there and get cold or wet, just breathe.

No comments: