Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day


Yes, Happy Mother’s Day – and I truly hope you Mama’s have a wonderful day.

It always amazes me that we knew all this stuff once but over the years we forget it and give it little or no notice. The first North American Mother’s Day was conceptualized with Julia Ward Howe’s Mother’s Day Proclamation in 1870. Despite having penned The Battle Hymn of the Republic 12 years earlier, Howe had become so distraught by the death and carnage of the Civil War that she called on Mother’s to come together and protest what she saw as the futility of their Sons killing the Sons of other Mothers. With the following, she called for an international Mother's Day celebrating peace and motherhood – it would take her own daugther and many more years before this would become a national holiday.


The United States celebrates Mother's Day on the second Sunday in May. I sure hope you didn’t forget and if possbile you will call your Mama and wish her a Happy Mother’s Day!

I would love to call my mother, hug her and just be with her today but that would be a tall order – she went “home” in 2002. However I do wish her a happy Mother’s Day, I do still love her and I miss her very much!


Like most, I too shall get phone calls from kids and even sisters. Yup, us gals tend to celebrate our passage into Motherhood and we get to laugh and tell stories on this day too. Best of all we get to reminisce – which is always a fun happening. Talking about what our kids did when they were younger, what they are doing now and of course, and our own childhood when we made things for our beloved Mother. Who can forget Kleenex corsages?

So for all the Mother’s out there – enjoy your special day – embrace it and for goodness sake, laugh!

P.S.: Ever notice that on Mother's Day more women are seen at Garden shops, nurseries, flower shops and collecting not just flowers to plant but garden seeds as well. It's like this is the time to get flowers and plant them and hey, along the way, we say thanks to Mom too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY my friend!! I hope it was as fabulous as YOU are!! :0)