Tuesday, May 6, 2008

CELTIC WEEKEND – Part II

If necessary, click on this photo and get a larger version. Imagine wearing this clothing day in and day out – well, our ancestors did and I wonder if they froze as much as I was and I was wearing layers and had on shoes?

It’s times like this, when you are reminded of where you came from and what it was like that you truly appreciate what you have – and no matter you can be proud of your heritage.

I am not exactly sure what the “thing” is being tossed but it looks like a rock with a ring thru it and it is some Celtic athletic sport. All I can say is if one doesn’t watch what they are doing, this “thing” could land on their head and that definitely would leave one hell of a bruise! The idea was to toss it up and over the bar – now bar tossing never looked like this, at least no bars I ever entered! Oh well, it’s fun to watch and quite a sport.

Now sporting events, called “heavy athletics “ is a Celtic tradition. It is generally accepted that Scottish heavy events can be traced back to the 11th century, during the reign of King Malcome Canmore. Highland Chieftains held competitions to select the strongest men of the clan, as bodyguards, and the fleetest of foot for messengers. These events were continued virtually unchanged until the Battle of Culloden in 1746. This battle brought a sudden and cruel ending to not only Bonnie Prince Charlie’s wish to have Scotland become an independent nation, but it was to halt all and any clan gatherings. Gee, Bonnie Prince Charlie was a bit of a nerd, wasn’t he and spoiler of fun! Continue reading and you’ll learn more about the heavy sporting events and get an idea of what I witnessed and found so amazing.

Bullwood Caber – Teams have created the world’s largest caber, which is currently being evaluated by the Guinness Book of Records. So what in hell is a caber anyway? It’s a log – usually peeled of its bark, measuring between 16 and 20 feet long. And it can weigh any where from 85 to 200 pounds. In short, a caber is a telephone pole! It is the length and taper of the caber that provides the greatest challenge to Athletes. Hey, its no easy task to lift and run with a tree trunk balanced in the palms of your hands. Then you have to flip it end over end and have it land perfectly at noon high! Ya, they find this exciting and watching it is damn exciting…as for even thinking of doing such a thing, not on your life. Maybe a broom handle!

The Stone Put – oh this is something to see. Stones being plentiful and free, its not difficult to understand why Scots have been tossing stones for as long as there have been people to hit and as long as their have been Highland Games. You can do your own search for more info on this sport and yes, women tossed the stone about too and for the record, these are not wimpy stones, they weigh quite a bit too.


Hammer Throw –this are thrown to show or prove one’s strength and ability. The hammers used today have a round 16-pound metal head, attached to a handle, fifty inches long overall. The one who throws the longest wins and although I never did ascertain how many throws were permitted, obviously more than one. I just know that’s a lot of stone to toss but again, women were doing this too!

I wish I could remember all the folks I met, everyone was truly grand. But Michael and Janice shall forever be remembered – his Irish accent was lovely and although bands wouldn’t let him sing, he did have a pleasing tone! Oh yes, he definitely wore a kilt and was heard to say, more than once that "his arse was freezing!" He informed me the reason some women left our table was because I was a nerdy witch and I told him no, it was your damn singing, and this pleasant exchange, endeared us for life! Jan, his wife is a real sweet heart and together they were just fun people. You know what, everyone was great, I didn't met any that irked, annoyed or bugged -- and that is bloody damn amazing!!

Okay, to sum up this weekend, and believe me there is more one could and should write about, however come to a festival and experience this yourself is my best suggestion! Or go online and do some research yourself -- it's well worth your time. Hey, I didn't write about them but I witnessed the Jousting tournament and that was really grand to see. Even the Vendors were good people, no junk to be found, all quality stuff, even kilts if you were so inclined to want one and lots of sterling silver in all sorts of uses; i.e. rings, ear rings, toe rings, bracelets, etc.
This ends my educational dissertation on this wonderful weekend. My daughter is all ready saying she wants to go next year! The Party House is gonna need an extension!
So that was my weekend and you can always do an Internet search to learn more about the Celebration of Celts. Now I shall prepare for my next trip, which shall see me heading to Minnesota to see my son, his wife and my grandchildren. Ya, gotta get my grandma fix. In the meantime, you all have a good week and yes, I shall update you on my tulips too.

No comments: