Thursday, July 24, 2008

WHY? WANDER, WHY?

Some days you just need to let the mind wander and allow the fingers to write whatever pops into your head, as long as it makes a bit of sense and doesn’t indicate complete stupidity! Being a little stupid is just fine—we all have that gene whether you know it or not!

What is it about rainy days that zaps our energy and makes us just want to curl up with a book or nap? It’s like rain means rest and sleep or slow down, you’re moving too fast – like it controls how we shall conduct our lives! Amazing when you think about it because rain really shouldn’t have that much power. I mean, I can still go for a walk whether it is raining or not, I’m not gonna melt – I’ll get wet and damp and perhaps catch a cold but I’m not going to melt! And if I dress properly I won’t get sick either!

Okay, I admit certain things are easier done in nice weather but rain doesn’t stop every outside activity. I can’t mow my yard when it rains [I could but folks would think I was crazy as hell] but I can still weed my flower garden and snap “dead” buds off the flowers, even if that means donning a raincoat and cap. I don’t think washing my car is exactly a brilliant concept when it’s raining but then, rain is a good rinse! And visiting other people usually sees this look of horror when they see you; “oh shit, wet coats and shoes, damn, there goes my clean floor!”

That reminds me, my kitchen floor is in dire need of a good mopping, hell, make that a scrubbing but I have a service person due sometime this morning and I think I’ll wait until that visit is over before I mop. Talking about service calls---how do you like it when they say; “someone will be there between 8 and noon.” That’s four damn hours that you are literally a hostage in your own home waiting on a service person – is that brilliant or what? No wonder doctors schedule all patients for the same hour and then, you sit in their waiting rooms together – at least you had an actual appointment, right? The logic of all this just baffles me but then, I baffle easily!

How many of you have switched over to the digital phone service? Yeah the one where when a call comes in you can see the name of the caller on your TV (assuming you have the TV on of course)! Oh yeah, it has the usual options; leave a message, speaker, conference, memory, redial, etc., and it has (or at least mine has) this annoying damn habit of causing folks who call me or who I call to announce; “hey, you’re breaking up, I’m hearing every other word OR hello, I can’t hear you, did you hang up?” Well, a few weeks (make it a couple months) of this nonsense and I finally called and reported the problem. Now, between 8 and noon, someone shall come and check out my phones – damn, technology is wonderful.

Holy Martha, its pouring – sweet mama! I’m telling ya, Scrapper, this is getting damn old! Isn’t there some place where they need rain? I mean, we can’t be in this much need of all this wet stuff, can we? Rivers are above the water table and while we’d love to be out on the river and lakes, these downpours are killing that desire big time!

So while my mind wanders from one subject to another, I was surprised to see Roger Federer got beat in his first appearance in the Rogers Masters Series. Man, this guy can’t catch a break – he lost to Nadal at the French and Wimbledon and now in Toronto – yikes. If he is not careful he will lose his number one ranking.

Okay, Time Warner Cable service guy has been here, fixed the problem and now the phone works properly and as hubby was becoming a tad annoyed getting kicked off the Internet at night, that has been fixed too – oh, he’s gonna be a happy man tonight – he’ll do the happy dance for sure (talk about a computer nerd, that is hubby).

So, now I shall head to Massena and my mechanic and ascertain why this damn check engine light insists on staying on and why it seems like I need help with the steering wheel – it works but isn’t turning as easily as before and makes a small squealing sound – ya, wait until the mechanic hears this – what the hell, he’ll get the idea, he’s use to my non-mechanical terms.

Have a good one or not if that is your pleasure.

1 comment:

Mike Garvey said...

Hi Pat! It's raining here in Buffalo, too, though it isn't as bad as in some parts of the country, I'm told. One of these days, I'll pull my head out of these damn books, and run around outside with my daughters, rain or shine, hell or high water.

In the meantime, thanks for the crossed fingers! (And the Kennedy comparison!)