Thursday, September 4, 2008

WANNA DO

Remember when you were working (or still are) and you made these weekly “to do lists?” Okay, you made them daily aren’t you just flippin precious!

When you retire those to do lists kind of get tossed aside and it’s one of those retirement pleasure we all enjoy with a sadistic grin on our faces! Instead we have “wanna do, or gonna do” items and the best part, they have no particular time limit. Ain’t that a hoot? And I suppose if I was totally fair, retirees also have a "I ain't doing nuthin" list too. Now that one is a real hoot and we all love it!

Now you can call these “goals,” or “objectives,” or even “challenges,” but for me wanna do or gonna do works just fine – and does not have some horrible time line or deadline! In fact, it allows me to do things at my own pace, which is damn nice!

One of my “wanna do’s” this summer was to walk around Norwood Lake. I don’t mean the entire flippin lake,[that would mean around Norwood, into to Potsdam and who knows where else that sucker goes]--- get real, just the Norwood Lake Road – that road/street is some hike. Now in order to do this, you are going hike up a hill, either on Route 56 or the hill headed to the Norwood Beach[either one is a climb and a thigh workout!].

The first time I hiked up the Norwood hill toward Potsdam I thought I would fall in total exhaustion when I got to Ficacco’s garage, but nope, I managed to stay upright and continued on. Then instead of crossing by the Lobster House, I went up and over the dry Bridge (another flippin hill). Anyway, that hike was wonderful and I had blisters to prove it! This time went up the hill again and crossed over by the Lobster House. Now I could walk around but decided that was one long walk and it is damn muggy out there. So I cut through the woods behind my daughter’s house. This saved me a few steps not many but trust me at this point a few was most welcomed!

Hey, it took me an hour and half to hike this route and it is damn muggy out there and with my red face and sweaty body I was one beautiful sight to behold. Good thing beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because nobody would be beholding me this morning! Sweet Martha, this has to be worth more than 6 activity points?

Now I can claim I did one of the wanna do items – not only did I do it but I did it twice – yes, I count going up and over the bridge – what the hell same distance, just a different route and more hills on the bridge route!

I am truly hoping all this walking will help me with my quest to conquer cross country skiing. I have purchased shorter skis and I still need to buy ski boots but hey, I am determined to master this activity. I did downhill skiing for years (okay it has been a few since I last skied but nonetheless, I do know how to ski. However, down hill and X-country are not the same as I learned last year. Oh yes, I could take lessons but what in hell would the fun in that be? I prefer my "fall and rise" method. I'm not gonna set any records but then, I'm just out there moving my fat ass around and trying to keep active -- not become some accomplished XC skier -- give me a break!



I will still snowshoe, as that is great fun and a nice workout but I really think cross-country skiing is super-duper and I want to do it – hey, you gotta have “wanna do or gonna do” items or you’ll go bonkers – or worse, you’ll sit inside, eat and gain weight. Hell, I can look at food and gain weight, so imagine if I eat too – holy Martha.

Hey, you all have a grand ole day – kids definitely went back to school today – I know many a Mom is doing the back-to-school dance.

Be careful reading the fine print. There's no way you're going to like it!

No comments: