Saturday, September 6, 2008

Yard Prep

As much as I dislike the idea that summer is over and Fall, well, it’s here and shows every indication of an Indian Summer, the sad fact remains – it is time to put things away, clean up the yard and do some fall planting! [aka winterize the damn place]

Yesterday, before it hit 90 degrees and while still “warm” from my walk, I pulled up my tomato plants. They were done and it was foolish to think they’d do more – so bye-bye, you’re outta here!

Because my tulips were so prutty last year, I have more to plant this year – don’t ask me why but I seem to attract tulip bulbs. By that I mean, people "give" them to me and my husband buys bulbs!
However as some “critter” liked these babies just as they popped up and another would dig to get the bulb, I am gonna try something different. Now let me tell ya, red pepper flakes sprinkled about after the bulbs pop up does distract these critters but I want to make it harder for those bulb eaters!

Therefore, my plan is to get some chicken wire, plant the bulbs, make a cocoon with wire [kind of a wire covering if you will] and see if this keeps the critters away. Yup sounds like a lot of work, eh? Before I do this I also plan to get some top soil – I was gonna mix it in then plant, but hey, live dangerously, try something different, so the soil shall go on top and seep down over the winter months. What the hell, can’t hurt, right?

I’d like to plant some of these bulbs in the front but chicken wire in the front doesn’t look very attractive. Maybe the local nursery can give me other ideas – or more attractive deterrents! But as this looks like a “wet” Saturday, about all I can do is gather my materials and wait for nicer weather. In the meantime, I need to get hubby’s ass on the ladder and clean out the drain pipes which are currently growing small trees – yuck! I’d do this myself but can’t get the ladder unfolded and up, so I need his assistance. Hey, once he has the ladder up, he can damn well climb up there and clean those rain gutters, right? Ya, my thoughts exactly!

Confucius say: Man who lives in glass house should change clothes in basement!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to chat with you on my space. I am a member. I read yours and we sound so much alike.
I just don't know how to go about it. I have three grandchildren and they are my pride and joy. We many of your other interest That are the same. I am also into education. It would be nice to just chat.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, just go ahead and chat. If you feel safe, send an email address and I'll respond. Where are you? What State? County?

Hey, great hearing from you and glad you like my blog -- its fun and I enjoy it.