Wednesday, August 13, 2008

BIG DAY FOR POTSDAM

Hey, after much ado and what have you, the infamous Super Wal-Mart opens today in Potsdam – hurrah!

And along with this store comes over 400 jobs and man, we needed employment for folks too. Whether you like or dislike Wal-Mart it is here now and it’s gonna make life a bit more interesting and easier for many folks.

Oh sure, folks will still shop downtown, that’s a given and although in my opinion, shopping is limited based on interests but then, isn’t that how it usually works? And yes, folks will still shop at Hackett’s and again, this is fine. Wal-Mart is not going to drive people away, it’s gonna bring people in and that includes restaurants – hello, folks wanna eat and inside the super store – Subway only lasts how long?

Today will be a mad house, I suppose but keep in mind, Wal-Mart doesn’t do this promotion give-away number to the first 100 customers or anything along those lines – they just open their doors and welcome you, just like they will three months from now. And if the personnel here are as well trained as the Massena Wal-Mart, you will not only see but also get friendly, competent service.

I don’t mind if some clerk asks if they can help me but when I say I am just looking, I mean I am just looking and leave me to hell alone. So, if they persist and bug me I mess with them. First I ask if they got anything in my size? This gets the usual, “what size do you need?” And then, I smile and say, “Extra medium.” That sends them scampering to find someone who can explain this or declare the store does not carry that size. Believe me, they are gone and I’m back to looking!

Gee, I thought it was gonna be a dry, warm day – my walk had every indication of that, sun shining and me sweating as the temp seemingly went up. Then, like a dummy I checked the weather via the Internet and see it is currently 65 degrees and we can expect rain today and that brings up one word – SHIT! In fact it’s likely we’ll have thunderstorms today and tomorrow and that means double shit!

Now I shall turn my attention to gas prices – yes, the price of gas has come down, not a lot but hey, $4.15 sounds pretty damn nice after that ugly $4.41 a gallon, eh? What amazes me is the further south I drive the lower the price and I mean just beyond Gouverneur – now, why is that happening? Does it really cost that much more to bring us country bumpkins’ gas? We’re not talking hundreds of miles here, folks, just a few miles!

Well, for all of you who are slowly getting in the back-to-school shopping I honestly feel for you! Yup, been there, done that and glad it’s all over for me. My granddaughter starts school this year and I told me son he’ll need a bank loan to get her dressed and he said; “nope, just an extension on the house for her shoes!” This girl loves shoes and trusts me, she has plenty of them and each pair is special!

Hey, you all have a lovely day – have some laughs and giggles too.

[don't ask about the photo -it won't go away so I decided to try an post it and hope that ends this nonsense, sorry]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I've been to Walmart TWICE today & have to go back tomorrw!!! (Yeah, see my myspace for THAT one!)

You never saw so many helpful, cheerful people all in one building!! The store even SMELLS new!!! :0)

We got FREE water bottles, & CAKE!! :0)