Thursday, November 25, 2010

Yup, Happy Thanksgiving

Yes folks another Thanksgiving has arrived and like many, I too will pig out and say to hell with any diet or thought to restrain myself...all those goodies were made with love and need to be eaten, right?

I am so grateful for so many things this year and sadden that my  beloved brother, Warren, is not here with us -- his spirit will always be amongst us, along with my parents and other brothers, but his smile and laughter I shall never hear again, except in my memory and that is strong.

Yesterday, as I was baking and doing various things (after all, my daughter is doing the actual dinner but I have my assignments) I was thinking (1) I need to stop and rest and (2) isn't it fun to just stand here, peeling taters and remembering childhood Thanksgivings!  We always had a crowd and whilst the food was great and lots of it, mostly there was a ton of dishes which my sisters and I got to wash -- what the hell was that all about? 

Just thinking about all that food, the various dishes and things we had never seen before or eaten and then, the same comments every year; "why don't we eat this more often, why do we wait for Thanksgiving to fix turkey?"  In some households, its not turkey but ham, which is great too.  I love how folks mix up the menu and have different things.

Please be thankful for all that you have and had, let's be kinder to each other and keep our loved ones close to our hearts and be grateful for all our memories and moments on this earth.

No comments: