Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Grandma Fix Over

Wow Minnesota weather was wonderful and it actually was cool at times, how cool? Well, I needed to ask to borrow a sweatshirt or light jacket. However, after all the rain and cool weather, the folks there loved this “warm” weather and thought I was nuts because I was cold!


Here’s a photo of the Warroad outdoor pool – it’s like a beach and the village maintains it. It has chlorine so it’s safe water and although not very deep, kids and adults love it. You pay a $3 entry fee and you’re good for the entire day. Haul in lawn chairs and beach towels and make yourself comfy – sun yourself and if you can stand it, jump in the cold water to cool off. I lasted about two seconds in that water and sat on the beach, where I promptly got sunburn!

There were many things I enjoyed such as watching my grandson play baseball. It’s camp type program and each day the kids learn new things; i.e. catching, throwing, running the bases, etc. During practice games it was cute to see him play 1st base, 2nd, and 3rd and he also played catcher. He loved being the catcher and has a good throwing arm. He is still learning the art of catching the ball as are all the other kids.

Not to be left out, my granddaughter has dance lessons and this is pure joy to watch. Tap and Ballet and seeing her in her tights and floating across the floor is just too precious.

Every Thursday everyone is invited to participate in a free track event. You are not competing but improving on your own times as you partcipate in certain events, such as the mile run, 400 meter, 200 meter, relay race, etc. Each participate has his or her own score card and times are recorded so they can see how much they improved from week to week.
I was amazed that my grandson, who is seven, actually had better times for the 400-meter than kids much taller than him. It’s not height that counts, it’s ability, stamina and willingness to run hard.

However my visit wasn’t all kid related – although that was great and made my visit that much more special. Nope, one evening we went to the 28th season of the Warroad Summer Theatre and watch the play, “No Sex Please, We’re British,” a comedy and very well done. I love to watch local talent perform and this was a great group of people. Then it was off to the local bar and grill as they celebrated 5 years of business.


This was a fun adult outing and as I could now enjoy my beer, I think I drank more than I intended but what the hell, I was on vacation (my son constantly says, ‘how in hell can someone who is retired, call this a vacation? Aren’t you permanently on vacation?’ Ya, he’s my smart one!).

I know my son will read this so I thank him for a wonderful time and we’ll see you in December. Also thanks to my daughter-in-law for insisting we stay with them vs. a hotel room. We were comfy and slept like logs! Do logs sleep?



I’m all ready missing everyone and came home to rainy weather but today it’s sunny and I think I’ll mow the lawn. What the hell, as I'm retired and on permanent vacation, this is work I can do if I want or leave for someone else if I so desire, right?

I know I'm in my own little world but it's ok, they know me here!

No comments: