Monday, December 1, 2008

LOCAL & WEATHER

Holy sheet, that’s some subject line, eh? Look, lately the newspaper editors are asking us to remember to shop locally this year. Huh? They don’t define local and I for one wonder if they actually have been in these unknown local stores! Look, if I can buy something cheaper at the Mall or Wal-Mart, am I stupid to say no to the lower price and go downtown just to claim I support our downtown merchants? Sorry, but I am not paying their mortgage this month so deal with it – I’ll shop where I can get the best bang for my buck, it’s that simple and that direct! Yes of course quality is needed but come on, quality happens in many stores – it’s the damn price that attracts and gets us to buy – and if you don’t believe that, go back to your own planet where stupidity reigns unchallenged.

Now about this weather – have we been lucky or what? Okay, we had a few chilly days and some snow back in October but hey, come on, this has been unseasonably nice weather so far. Let downstate deal with the “inches” of white stuff, we’ll get ours soon enough! I know that many went to bed thinking; “oh man, we’re in for it tonight, rain, snow, sleet, yuck,” and we woke up and thought the roads will be slick, schools will closed and driving ain’t gonna be fun but wait – none of that happened! As the temp rose the ice was gone, no school closings and folks were driving along just fine and dandy. Hurrah!

Look you can’t just sit there and say you want white for Christmas day and then it can disappear – forever and ever. That just ain’t gonna happen and while the rest of the week looks pretty nice it is gonna be damn cold – down into the low 20s or so they say. I’m not someone who puts much stock in weather reports – and I said this before, in my next life I want to be a weather person because this is one profession where changing your mind is totally acceptable and you get paid for it too!

In the meantime, when not shopping and folks aren’t to busy we have resumed a game we enjoyed for years – Scrabble – ya, it’s really fun now that we’re all adults (well, everyone but me) and its amazing how many words we now know that use the letter “Z.” Hey, gotta keep the ole mind active right. I mean, fitness of the body is one thing but the mind needs a workout as well.

Have a great Monday – look, the sun is shining – how about that?

No comments: