Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Snow + rain = ICE

For some the idea that schools closed seems a bit unnecessary, after all, folks are driving through Norwood and even Potsdam without too much trouble. So what’s the big deal?

Yes, some of us were out and about this morning and although it was (still is) snowing, the roads were a bit slushy and in some places slick but we were moving along. I was in 4-wheel drive and traveling about 40 mph and keeping a safe distance between the cars in front of me. Hey, if this hadn’t been my Curves workout day, I wouldn’t have left the house.

When I heard schools were closed I for one was glad folks were smart enough to make the right decision. While main roads are being plowed and driven upon, country roads are not and they are slick and slippery. I don’t want to think of any child riding on a bus that is trying to navigate in that kind of stuff – nope, have a day off and enjoy it.

Better yet, send the kids out there to shovel the driveway, sidewalks or even the deck. No reason they should stay inside bugging you all day. Hell, give’em a job and let’em see that staying home isn’t as wonderful as they think!

As a kid I was more than willing to go outside and shovel vs. staying inside an enduring Mom’s never ending cleaning quests – holy sheet, those never ceased and she could always find another room to declare a disaster and in need to a very thorough cleaning, top to bottom. You literally removed everything that could be moved out and scrubbed walls, mop boards, windows, etc. When sparkling and had that clean smell, you now tackled the items you took out and they too had to be cleaned. Eventually everything made its way back into the room and your job was done. WAIT! She found another room that needed the same deal. You see by keeping us busy, she was able to read a book, knit, bake or whatever without a kid bugging her every two second complaining about the weather and having nothing to do.



No wonder I preferred shoveling snow…once that was done, you high tailed it to the flats and went skating or grabbed a sled and ran to the longest hill to slide down the hill with childhood abandonment. Only a total idiot would go back inside and claim boredom...then, you got stuck cleaining rooms -- dummy! Ah the good ole days!

Oh for those keeping track – drum roll please – I lost FIVE pounds this week! Ya, don’t ask me how that happens but I’m gonna take it. Oh give me a break, of course I checked the scale, four times in fact and each time it showed this loss. Hey, I can sit there with a pound gain or just maintain for weeks, then suddenly something happens and I drop 3 or more pounds. This is my first 5 pound drop but I’m taking it and saying “Ya done good.” (Dad would be so proud that I’m using his favorite phrase).


As you slide down the banister of life, remember: Jim Baker and Jimmy Swaggert have written an impressive new book. It's called ----

"Ministers Do More Than Lay People"

1 comment:

WiseAcre said...

Figures, our Jeep just coughed up it's front end. I have to drive down to Albany today and all I have is a pick-up that prefers to unexpectedly go back end first.