Thursday, February 5, 2009

GOTTA DO WHAT YA GOTTA DO

Whenever I got a new camera, I always took “up the road” and “down the road” shots. My family has teased me about these shots for years and yet, even with my trusty cameras (meaning no longer new) I still love to take up and down the road shots. Got a little better at them as the years moved along – now I at least use railroad tracks, instead of a dirt or paved road (that did get a tad boring).

Okay, you’re not going outside when it’s this flippin cold, right? You stay inside and that is just dandy with me but I really do encourage you to venture outside – truly, you are missing the wonders of winter. Ya, you wonder what in hell makes anyone want to be out there in the damn cold, right?

After weeks of “maybe, Naw, well perhaps and forget it,” I finally put those crampons on my boots and went for a winter walk on the icy sidewalks. I was absolutely amazed at (1) how freakin cold it was [ I mean, yes, it was -8 degrees and I snowshoe in these temps and lower but walking is different -- I should have worn more layers because it takes a while to warm up your body vs snowshoeing where a few steps and you are warming up damn quick]
and (2) how well these suckers work. I also tried out a new winter coat (new in that I hadn't worn it yet) and discovered it does keep me pretty warm but it tends to "crackle" when it gets cold -- odd. Anyway, the point is I did not fall, I didn't really get all that cold and it felt damn good to resume my daily walks. Not doing two miles in these temps but hey, one and half miles ain't bad when the temp is reading -4 degrees!



What was really bad was removing my mittens to take icicle photos. I gotta tell ya, normally the only ice I wanna deal with is in a glass but icicles fascinate me – how the hell they form, the seemingly odd pattern or path they take and yet, they keep reaching toward the ground. Oh come on, of course I know this is frozen water and it flows DOWN from the roof top, what did you think, I thought they were frozen donut holes? Anyway, I find them fascinating and consider this sick idea: it's the perfect murder weapon...stab someone, it melts,tada no weapon! Is that sick or what? Ya, you all went with "what,"didn't ya? The mind is a terrible thing to waste but this is one wasted thought that should NOT have been shared!



Once again I shall "water" the granddog and today I'm taking the big camera with me and see if I can't get more amazing bird shots. That was fun yesterday even if Moose was ready to get back inside where it was warm. In the meantime, enjoy the icicle photos:






Quote of the day:


"Whatever you give a woman, she will make greater..

If you give her sperm, she’ll give you a baby.

If you give her a house, she'll give you a home.

If you give her groceries, she'll give you a meal.

If you give her a smile, she'll give you her heart.

She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her.

So, if you give her any crap, be ready to receive a ton of shit."

No comments: