Saturday, February 7, 2009

Tank Tops & Birds

Now look folks, its 22 degrees and rising but let’s not get silly and assume this so called heat wave is grounds to dig out those tank tops and shorts, okay? It’ll be a nice day, granted and we’ll enjoy it but it’s not gonna last. Sorry but it’s still the winter season and Mother Nature does like to tease – and you thought she had no sense of humor!

Is anyone else sick of hearing about Michael Phelps? He’s been suspended, he’s apologized and he’s even been pulled off the Cornflake box, can we please move on, and yes, Michael, shut your damn mouth too.




I am more than willing to feed birds, really this is something I wish to do and while they munch away on the bird feed, I can snap photos and get some amazing shots. Sometimes I just get damn lucky and that’s okay too.[FYI to see a larger picture, just click on photo] However, I am somewhat irked that I can’t seem to attract birds in my own yard. I have a nice bird feeder (nice by human standards) and it has food it in but no birds. Hey, my brother has birds on his deck, he can sit in his house, less than 5 feet away and watch them feed, fly around and perform dances for him, but me, hell no! Oh Bro lives in the country and I’m in town, but come on, do the birds really know this?

Yesterday I decided to do something to encourage birds to my feeder. First I trucked through deep snow to get a fallen branch to prop up around the damn feeder to give it the look of being in the woods (what the hell, anything is worth a try at this point). I even bought suet and hung it from the branches – still nothing. Ya, it’s still early but I wasn’t done, nope I was on a mission now and damnit, birds are gonna feed from my feeder or it won’t be for lack of trying on my part!


The next step was to head to Tractor Supply (ya, that makes no sense but this is where pet stuff is bought) and (1) bought a new bird house, this sucker looks like a condo in red cedar, very attractive, (2) Sunflower heart seeds – try something new maybe they’ll like this better, (3) an extender rod to push the bird house a little further away from the deck and (4) more suet (why I bought more crap they are not eating is beyond me but hey, the condo comes with a spot for suet).[oh hell, just smile, it makes for a change in the usual winter madness, like snowshoeing, cross country skiing, Wii exercises, Yoga, etc -- see, told ya, it would make ya smile].

Sometime today I hope to put all these new items up and then, sit back and wait for the birds. If they still don’t show up, screw’em they can starve. I did my part and now it’s up them! Oh the photos are ones taken at my son-in-law’s house, where he has so many feeders a bird could go nuts deciding and yes, the birds just love him….he also puts out hay and corn for the deer too.




That’s it for now, maybe more later – who knows – I could just join the bird family and find out the real reason they avoid my feeder!!!! Oh, can't leave ya without this tidbit...enjoy:


This is my NEW feeder and fake woods!




Will I live to see 80?






I recently picked a new primary care doctor.

After two visits and exhaustive lab tests, he said I was doing "fairly
well" for my age.

A little concerned about that comment, I couldn't resist asking him,
"Do you think I'll live to be 80?"

He asked, "Do you smoke tobacco, or drink beer or wine?"

"Oh no," I replied. "I'm not doing drugs, either!"

Then he asked, "Do you eat rib-eye steaks and barbecued ribs?"

I said, "No, my former doctor said that all red meat is very unhealthy!"

"Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing golf, sailing, hiking, fishing or bicycling?"

"No, I don't," I said.

He asked, "Do you gamble, drive fast cars, or have a lot of sex?"

"No,” I said.

He looked at me and said, "Then why do you even give a shit?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just went out to get the mail! (I keep forgeting to do that! It used to be my boy's job!) I thought I was gonna get blown away! Yikes! :0)


Nice Bird pics! :0)