Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Photos

Every now and then, it is fun to just put photos on this blog and let you see what I have seen on my walk. Now this photo is kind of a take from Wiseacre and another blogger who took many photos of woodpecker-trees. I thought I would show you the one where I managed to capture two pileated woodpeckers....tiny little holes but sufficient damage to this mighty tree! [it is my understanding that woodpeckers only go for dead trees as this is where the bugs are so they are not really damaging anything but an all ready dead tree]



Behind the ole Norwood School, there is another part of the Racquette River or Norwood Lake. As a kid many of us, at recess, kind of wandered down here to fish, swim or just hang out and odd, we didn't seem to head back to the school until it was time to catch the bus. Yes, we were playing hooky and it was worth it, some classes were boring as hell or maybe we were too stupid to realize we needed to learn this stuff?
Anyway, we did this and we could "tell time by the sun" and managed to get back in time to catch the bus home! It amazed me that teachers didn't seem to notice we weren't in class (where in hell did they think we were I wondered?). [I just realized, those teachers didn't give a rip -- fine role models, eh?]

I had been telling myself for weeks I should hike down there and this morning I did just that and let my childhood memories guide me. Hell no, I wasn't gonna swim in that cold ass water, nor fish or do anything close to childhood nonsense, but I was gonna enjoy the scene.


In the process I was serenaded by the Canadian geese, -- and man, I do mean serenaded. I can't be sure if they were doing the mating call, just showing off for each other or just letting every other critter know this was a restful place and stop here, rest, swim, enjoy! All I can say is they were one loud, quacking group of busy geese! Can't say who was louder, male or female but suffice to say, they were yakking big time!




So as more and more arrived. I decided to find me a better photo op place and moved down the river just a bit and of course, the entire time the noise is happening and if anything, getting louder. I am set, found the perfect spot and watched a few more water landings and see even more are approaching, this is absolutely the best spot to capture this on film.


Holy Cow Dung, the friggin battery lets me know it is "exhausted." EXHAUSTED! Are you kidding me? I was so mad at myself for not checking the damn battery and missing these shots, I gotta tell ya, if you had seen me stomping back through that field, you would not have even dared to say hello!




At the moment every camera battery is on the charger and I'm done kicking my own ass for forgetting to do this earlier.


And now, how is your Tuesday going?




So while the geese managed to escape my film the beginnings of my tulip garden got captured big time. Hey, it's thriving and so far no critter has chosen it for a snack.

No one is in charge of your happiness except you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked the *full* story you told me at lunch about your morning walk better!! LOL!! :0)

Pat said...

Well, Moonbeam, this one is pretty damn close to that story, right?

Hey, thanks for doing lunch, twas fun, gotta do it more often!!

Keep smiling!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, we SHOULD do it more often! Next time I'll make sure the resturaunt is actually OPEN for business & not on their *annual shut-down*! :0)