Wednesday, March 4, 2009

PEDOMETERS



Ever buy something, read the directions, use it and everything works fine and you set it aside and forget about it? Then a few months later you decide to use it again and now, well, now the brain goes to that distant planet that refuses to allow memory recall – in short, you forgot how to use the damn thing properly!

That’s what happened to me and worse; I passed on the wrong information to other people, holy sheet.

Now I like a pedometer, it is nice to know how many miles I walked, how many calories I burned, even how many steps I took and this one also has a real clock so I can keep track of the time too. I was amazed to learn, for example, that I was walking a little over two miles and having discovered that, set that as my daily goal. Once a month I would attempt to double that amount and baby, that is not as easy as it sounds (thigh burner hill in Norwood attests to that goal).

Here’s my faux pax – don’t ya love the fancy word – in short, here’s my screw up! HOW TO WEAR YOUR PEDOMETER. This sounds simple enough but there is an actual correct way to wear this sucker for the best and true results (didn’t know this, did ya?). “Clip the unit to your belt or to the top of your shorts or trousers as close as possible to the crease line of your pants.” The pedometer must always be horizontal and be parallel to the ground. Do not attach at an angle or sideways as false readings will result.

So for all of you who tend to wear it on the side, you are not getting an accurate reading and when worn properly you’ll be amazed at just how much you actually did. I forgot this placement crap and couldn’t understand why I wasn’t getting my usual 2+ mile reading, same damn route, same amount of steps and it would read 1.07 or some such crap. Well, when worn properly it would not only show the 2+ miles but also more calories burned too…ya, live and learn.

Thar I have corrected my mistake and hopefully will see those I misinformed and everyone will be back on track. Basically I do like wearing a pedometer and it is nice to discover how far I walked, how many calories I burned and hell, it’s a clock too so I don’t need to wear a watch.

So purchase a decent pedometer and use it [I'm not sure which to say is best, tried a few and decided the "sportline" pedometer at Olympia Sports was just fine for me]-- you’ll be amazed and pleased with your results. Like I said, I was surprised to learn I was walking 2+ miles and then, slowly increased my goal to give me a challenge. Maybe this year I shall strive for 3 miles per walk – holy sheet, let’s not get too carried away, eh?

Okay some quotes to live by – ready?

Learn to listen, and then listen to learn

Speech is conveniently located midway between thought and action, where it often substitutes for both.

Experience is a hard teacher, she gives the test first and the lessons afterward

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Family can not make you stressed without your consent! (Or so I'm told!) :0)

Pat said...

No sheet -- family? Stress? Consent? Nightmare, right?