Sunday, March 29, 2009

KIDS, SENIORS & BIRDS


I just wonder, am I the only one (I know I am not but I’m gonna ask it anyway) that thinks we have a really strong “crow” population? I mean, I can’t recall this many damn crows as a kid nor do I recall them being almost as big as turkeys! Plus they are noisy, I mean, flat out rude noisy.


Even more amazing, and I just learned this – see how ignorant I was – that these birds are protected By the Migratory Bird Treaty of 1918. The statute makes it unlawful to pursue, hunt, take, capture, kill or sell birds listed therein (“migratory birds). And it does not discriminate between live or dead birds and also grants full protection to any bird parts, including feathers, eggs, and nests. There are over 800 birds on this list. Now the number of individual American Crows is estimated by Birdlife International to be around 31,000,000.


Well, as a farm kid, we never heard of this statute and crows were good target practice critters for our BB guns and 22’s. Also, this kept the crow population down around our farm, thank you very much! Local sportsman’s clubs held annual “crow shoot offs” just to help hone that shooting skill and keep the crow population in-check (obviously it was not eliminlated!).





From the diary of a Pre-School Teacher


My five-year old students are learning to read. Yesterday one of them pointed at a picture in a zoo book and said, "Look at this! It's a frickin' elephant!"

I took a deep breath, and then asked..."What did you call it?"

"It's a frickin' elephant! It says so on the picture!"

And so it does...

“A f r i c a n Elephant”

Hooked on phonics! Ain't it wonderful?

~~~~~



Two businessmen in Florida were sitting down for a break in their soon-to-be new store. As yet, the store wasn't ready, with only a few shelves set up. One said to the other, 'I bet any minute now some senior is going to walk by, put his face to the window, and ask what we're selling.'



No sooner were the words out of his mouth when, sure enough, a curious senior walked to the window, had a peek, and in a soft voice asked "What are you sellin' here?"



One of the men replied sarcastically, "We're selling ass-holes."

Without skipping a beat, the old timer said, "You're doing well. Only two left."

Seniors - don't mess with them!

OLD PECAN TREE

On the outskirts of a small town, there was a big, old pecan tree just inside the cemetery fence. One day, two boys filled up a bucketful of nuts and sat down by the tree, out of sight, and began dividing the nuts. 'One for you, one for me. One for you, one for me,’ said one boy. Several dropped and rolled down toward the fence.





Another boy came riding along the road on his bicycle. As he passed, he thought he heard voices from inside the cemetery. He slowed down to investigate. Sure enough, he heard, 'One for you, one for me. One for you, one for me.'He just knew what it was.

He jumped back on his bike and rode off. Just around the bend he met an old man with a cane, hobbling along.'Come here quick,' said the boy, 'you won't believe what I heard! Satan and the Lord are down at the cemetery dividing up the souls.'


The man said, 'Beat it kid, can't you see it's hard for me to walk.' When the boy insisted though, the man hobbled slowly to the cemetery.Standing by the fence they heard, 'One for you, one for me. One for you, one for me.'

The old man whispered, 'Boy, you've been telling' me the truth. Let's see if we can see the Lord.'Shaking with fear, they peered through the fence, yet were still unable to see anything. The old man and the boy gripped the wrought iron bars of the fence tighter and tighter as they tried to get a glimpse of the Lord.

At last they heard, 'One for you, one for me. That's all. Now let's go get those nuts by the fence and we'll be done.'

They say the old man made it back to town a full 5 minutes ahead of the kid on the bike.


So it is Sunday, rainy and dreary but the temp aint too bad -- around 39 degrees (give or take). So, do what you wish today -- like you'd do anything different. Oh ya, keep smiling!!!

No comments: