Friday, May 29, 2009

GRADUATION

I have, over the years participated in and/or witnessed many graduations. Such as High School, college, tech schools, military schools, FBI Academy (no sheet), Training Schools and so on, but nothing, and I mean Nothing tops a Kindergarten graduation!

If you have not witnessed one of these, you have not had a full life. This is so amazing, fun, entertaining and delightful to watch you’ll surprised yourself with just how much you enjoyed yourself. The kids sport the infamous mortarboard head gear, which they find difficult to keep in place causing them to “mess with it” constantly. They have to stand or sit while this and that is taking place, mostly hearing their remarks as to what they enjoyed the most about kindergarten. This ranges from recess-to-math-to-reading-back to recess! Finally they get to perform and sing various songs for us and these are delightful and man, do they sing – top of the lungs singing mind ya. Eventually, they get in line and walk to the Principal to get their certificate. After the ceremony, everyone heads to their classroom to get the real certificate and photos with the teacher.



Then its home for the real party or at least that is what transpired for my granddaughter. As presents were opened, she needed help with one (damn plastic wrap) and her mother said, “This is for kids 3 years and up.” Without skipping a beat Ella replied, “I AM UP!” So for the next hour or so it was watching her unwrap gifts, having a delicious meal, taking loads of photos and eventually wrapping up a very special day, one I was so glad I did not miss!

Weather-wise, northern Minnesota was having lousy damp weather just like upstate New York. I think we had one non-rainy day and the sun actually shone all day, temps in the 60s and folks were in shorts and claiming it was hot. Hot my arse, the breeze off those lakes was damn chilly in my book! But it was dry and folks were outside, mowing lawns, planting gardens, flowers, even attempting to tan a bit -- it was truly a sunny day for everyone (except me who was still chilled).

Now with all the rain, there is considerable flood warnings and a guy who lives in Lisbon, ND, claims he lives between two dikes and so far, he is fine, no flooding and he has no issue with anyone. However, some clowns feel Minnesota should pay taxes for these dikes or some such shit and as the dikes are in ND, Minnesota is not overly inclined to want to pay taxes for them. Gee, they aren’t as dumb as some folks think, are they? Ya, and you thought dikes were what?!



So between graduation, flood warnings, rain and high winds, I got to enjoy my grandkids including getting them up, fed, dressed and out the door in time to catch the school bus, then watched my grandson play baseball, my granddaughter at her dance class, and of course school award ceremonies. In-between these events I thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with Sheri and Dean. Even the grandmothers got to do lunch with no grandkids and that was cool and fun, thanks again Lu. On Sunday, it was BBQ time at the Cass house and man; Jim can grill up a steak that just melts in your mouth.

Of course, you do realize the exercise and diet was shot completely, right? I ate more red meat on this trip than I have eaten in years. And of course the beer was going down easily too and had more of them than I needed but what the hell, its vacation, right? Oh ya, they held a gun to my head to make me eat this red meat and drink all those beers too. Damn kids!

Now I need to check out my emails, MySpace, facebook and all other sorts of information places, however the most important thing to do is watch the French Open. Yes, tennis matches – what in hell did you think I meant? Don’t answer that.

So, while the rain continues to pour down and make us all bonkers, find something to keep you smiling, okay?

No comments: